Yes we would be pleased to help you, although we have over 2500 buildings in our range we often find customers have special designs and requests, our factory is primarily set up to make bespoke buildings and the prices differ little from the standard shed. Please contact us and we would be pleased to discuss your requirements.
We are asked all the time by our customers the difference between one of our own manufactured buildings when compared to other sheds, summerhouses and garden buildings that we supply or indeed others supply.
In our range we have some lovely buildings, we only supply the best products and I can definitely say they all meet our demands of quality. However some customers prefer just that little bit extra or they may prefer a building to their designs which isn’t readily available from standard ranges.
The main benefits of our own manufactured products are:
- We use a 5th Grade red wood, chosen only from suppliers who can confirm a chain of custody to ensure the timber is from sustainable sources. This grade of timber is far superior to that used traditionally by other manufacturers. We use this because it has far fewer dead knots, the grain is tighter meaning the wood is denser, the boards are more regular and have a low moisture content so they don’t warp as much as lesser quality wood. All the boarding we use is either 12mm shiplap tongue and grooved or 22mm tongue and grooved.
All the wood is hand selected before being used in the building. Even though the wood is a higher quality we still reject boards that are warped, contain splits, or dead knots.
The wood is then cut to the required lengths and consideration is given at this stage to the surface that will be seen – we ensure that this surface is upper most with the blade cutting down through it to ensure that any “frays” are away from the finished surface, this 9s an extremely small point but it does help to the aesthetics of the finished products.
The shed panels are made up using 2”x2” framing on all the uprights, this is traditionally what is termed “Heavy duty framing” we do this as standards as we design and build all our buildings for heavy duty uses. The panels are always screwed together rather than nailed which is normally the case in mass manufactured sheds.
- All the boards are double nailed onto the frames using very high quality ribbed, anodised nails.
- Each panel is hand made and precise measurements are taken to ensure that all the boards on every panel will line up evenly – a good tip to tell the quality of a shed is to stand at its corner and see if the boards on the front are at the same height as the boards on the side, these should all be in line.
- Once a panel has been made the sides are planed to ensure there are no uneven surfaces. It is then inspected and any small knots are coated in a mixture of glue and wood filler to ensure they will never fall out. It is these small points that all help to ensure the shed will last for years.
- All our doors and windows are made by hand here at our factory, we do not buy in mass produced units. All our standard shed doors are fully framed with 2”x2” framing, these are then ledged and braced and we fit a mortise lock and round handle. In addition all our standard shed doors use 3 heavy duty galvanised hinges.
- Our summerhouse doors are fully mortised and tennoned using 4”x2” framing, and we use star dowels and high quality glue to ensure the fixing will remain forever. The glazing is then held in by round mitred beading on a bed of silicone
Our windows are also produced in the same way, even our shed windows are to the same standard. The fixed shed windows are also beaded in with mitred beading to ensure a quality finish.
- Above our shed doors and below the windows we supply proper and substantial drip strips to ensure no weather can enter through these areas.
There are many other small points that could be raised, but they relate to our “old” fashioned way of doing things, our factory has in the past and always will be set up to provide a high quality, hand finished product. We have customers who come back to us after 30 years for a summerhouses – the shed they bought is still standing and still in good condition, we believe this is down to the skill of our joiners from the initial selection of the quality timber all the way through to the final fit where again we only use the best of materials, everything is screwed or bolted and definitely not hammered in.
The manufacturing side of the business has stayed the test of time for over 50 years, this is a massive testament to these standards and these will remain whilst our customers appreciate the difference between a hand made product and a mass produced one.
If you are interested in our range of hand built buildings, you may like to look at a small gallery of our recent bespoke projects, please visit this link; Taylors Bespoke Garden Buildings